Last week was a pretty frustrating week for me, especially on The WI-1 House. I asked my electrician, plumber, HVAC guy and carpenters to have their rough inspections completed by Wednesday, in hopes that it would actually get completed by end-of-week, so we could start insulating today (Monday)…
Well, electrical and plumbing got completed before the week was over, but HVAC and framing didn’t happen until Friday afternoon. Even worse, nobody from our crew was there when the inspector showed up. Ultimately, the inspector left a note indicating that he wanted us to call him, but without any details. When we called him later in the afternoon, he had already left for the weekend. We had no way of knowing if we passed or if we hadn’t…and if we hadn’t, why not. So, without know why we failed inspections (or even if we failed), we had to hold the insulation crew off and let them know they’d likely be starting mid-week instead.
This morning, we finally got in touch with the inspector and he mentioned that the one concern was some fire-blocking in the basement, which would need to happen *after* insulation. In other words, we didn’t need to hold off insulation at all. But we did, and now we’ve lost a couple more days… 🙁
Anyway, on the bright side, we’ve passed all our rough inspections — electrical, plumbing, framing, HVAC and deck footers. Hopefully, this week we’ll pass our insulation inspection and deck framing inspection, and then we’re on to sheetrock, paint and finishing.
Hopefully I’ll have some pictures in the next few days to post…I’ll probably be out there next week or the following to check on progress and get everyone coordinated for finish work. As of now, our schedule looks like we’ll be finishing the first week in November (best case) and our rehab budget stands at about $110,000, which is about 15% over our $95,000 estimate from earlier in the project (actually, the original estimate was $75,000, but we revised the renovation plan — and the budget to $95,000 — a week or two later).