My partner on The WI-1 House and I spent much of last week up in Milwaukee trying to get our ducks in a row on that project (see schedule below)…
We’ve made a lot of revisions in our scope of work and budget — the project has gotten a lot bigger over the past two weeks. We’ll be doing some major overhaul of the kitchen, major redesign of the master bedroom and a secondary bedroom to create a huge master suite and a lot of additional exterior work. Our budget has gone from $75,000 to $95,000 (making this the most expensive project we’ve done), but we believe those changes should add a good bit more to the resale value than the extra $20K in costs. I’ll post some of our designs in the coming week as our architect finishes them up.
We’re still about 2 weeks away from starting the project, as we’re waiting for our architect to finish the drawings so we can apply for permits; once we submit the permit application, we expect about 2 weeks for review before they are issued. Realistically, we probably won’t start the project until the week of August 20, and we’re expecting the project to take 6-8 weeks from that time.
That said, we’ve made good progress on finding contractors. We’re good to go on many of the trades, including a foundation guy, a GC (for permits), an architect/designer, an electrician, plumber and HVAC company, an all-in-one exterior company (to do the roof, siding, gutters, soffits/fascia, etc) and a window supplier and window installer. The big hole left in our contracting crew is carpenters — we still need a crew that can frame the basement, do the structural work and reconfiguration of the walls, install the doors, etc. On top of that, that we a sheetrock crew, a painter, a hardwood guy and a cabinet supplier. Luckily, most of those things come later in the project, so we have time.
Here’s the best case scenario on the schedule (I’m expecting it won’t go this smoothly given the complexity and logistics of this project, but one can hope :)):