Progress on The Rookie House has been pretty slow since we closed on the purchase about a month ago. The main reason being that we brought in a mold testing company to test for mold, and despite there being not visual evidence of a mold problem, the test indicated that there was slightly elevated levels of mold present. This was likely the result of the house being locked up without AC for 3 years, and wasn’t too surprising.
What was surprising was the cost and time of the remediation. Despite the problem not being very bad, the fact that the house was torn down to the studs meant that the mold could have been on any surface, and the remediation required involved a lot of manual work. This involved about a week and a half of work, and over $3000 for the remediation (which was by-far the best quote we got). On the bright side, after remediation it only took 24 hours to get the results of a new mold test, which indicated that levels were no longer elevated. This meant we could get back to work.
Last week, we finished all the rough work (electrical, plumbing, HVAC), got the new tubs and showers installed, got the insulation installed and passed our rough inspections. That means that sheetrock will start tomorrow, and we’re probably about a month away from having the house ready to go on the market.
Due to the extra cost and time of mold remediation (which I should have anticipated, but didn’t), we’re now about $3000 over budget and a couple weeks over schedule…