I previously mentioned the difficulty we were having removing the old hardwoods on The Drought House, but those sorts of minor issues are pretty typical. Unfortunately, we had another issue yesterday that was neither minor nor typical…
I got a call Friday night from my project manager — who had gotten a call from one of my contractors — that there was a “leak” in the house. Turns out that it was much more than just a leak — apparently a pipe had burst beneath the concrete slab/foundation of the house and water was coming up through the concrete and into the house.
They got the water turned off at the meter, the water cleared from the first floor and some fans set up to dry out the house. And I got a good GC friend of mine on the phone to get his plumber’s number (he’s my go-to guy for tough problems like this). His plumber will be coming by the house later today to try to diagnose where the problem is, and hopefully we can get it fixed in the next couple days.
For a project that is already skinny on profit, this wasn’t the best news, but this is the first major surprise we’ve had in about a year, and hopefully it won’t be too expensive. But, it’s a good reminder why we need to always be conservative when doing our financial analysis — you never know when something like this might happen and send us over budget.