This past week, we completed all the exterior repairs, including replacing some rotted/damaged window trim, removing a dead tree in the front yard, repairing some minor roof damage and some general landscaping. On the interior, we finished the painting, installed the cabinets and countertops, installed all the new lights and electrical fixtures, installing all the new plumbing fixtures and completed all HVAC maintenance and repairs. Wednesday morning we’re scheduled for our final inspection with the city.
After tomorrow’s inspection, we’ll start on the hardwood flooring installation (which will take two days), after which we’ll install the carpet and vinyl in the bedrooms/bathrooms (Friday and/or Saturday), clean and polish — or refinish, if necessary — the original tubs/shower (next Monday), install the appliances (next Monday) and get the house cleaned (next Tuesday or Wednesday). At that point, we’ll just need to get a final mold inspection to receive our Certificate of Occupancy (CO) and any final punch-list details that need to be taken care of.
In terms of budget, we decided to install hardwoods throughout the entire shared living areas — about 650 square feet. At $4.50 per square foot, this was an additional $3000 worth of work that we hadn’t budgeted for, but given that we saved about $700 on carpet/vinyl costs in these areas and were already about $1500 under budget, this only puts us over budget by about five hundred dollars. And we hope to make some of that up in the final week of rehab.
The goal at this point is to get the property completed and staged by the end of next week, and put on the market the weekend after Thanksgiving…